Book Review: The Fugitive's Doctor by Deirdre-Elizabeth Parker

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Title: The Fugitive's Doctor
Author: Deirdre-Elizabeth Parker 
Pub. Date: 05/10/2011
Publisher: Createspace
Format: Paperback
Pages: 300
ISBN#: 1461172616

Synopsis:  
 At age 51, Dr. Doretha Vaughn decides to advertise for a husband through Love on AOL. “Be careful,” her daughter warns. “Don’t worry,” Doretha responds, “I’m a pretty good judge of people.” Soon she finds the love of her life. For eight years, Sam Cawley, a warm and kind man, treats her like a queen - filling her days and nights with laughter and affection while providing a caring refuge from the daily suffering and death she battles as an emergency physician. But on May 14, 2007, at Boston’s Logan Airport, a phone call from the Broward County Sheriff in Florida pulls the plug on Doretha’s life of happiness and security. She learns that Sam Cawley is really William Wallace, an escaped felon who has been on the lam for seventeen years and is now wanted in Florida on charges of identity theft and credit card fraud. “You may not want me in your life after this,” Sam/William tells her. “I certainly wouldn’t blame you.” What should an intelligent, accomplished, self-respecting woman do? The Fugitive’s Doctor, a novel by Deirdre-Elizabeth Parker, reveals a surprising, provocative, and ultimately poignant answer. Instead of racing home, dumping all her husband’s belongings on the driveway, and running over them in her Mountaineer, she declares her unwavering commitment to the man who has been living a lie. Far from withdrawing in anger and bitterness as the “victim” the authorities label her, she becomes her husband’s most powerful ally in navigating a tangled web of legal nightmares, secrecy, family betrayal, and emotional and financial upheaval. For two years, she leads an excruciating campaign for reasonable sentencing terms that might bring her husband back home to her before time and ill health take his life prison. Her vow to stand by her man never wavers. Why would the former Chair of a hospital Emergency Department and Associate Dean of Medicine at a University Medical School choose a course that many women would consider foolish or destructive - an act of relinquishing personal integrity and self-esteem? Why would she cling to a marriage sustained only behind prison walls? Doretha (Doe) reveals her answers with a startling openness, honesty, and passion that challenge all our assumptions, beliefs, and judgments. As she chronicles her personal crisis and shares her innermost feelings, Doe makes the case that what she is doing is what we all should be doing. Practicing unconditional love, not with blinders but with compassion, caring, and an awareness of the big picture. Helping one another heal from deep, painful wounds. Recognizing our own roles in the troubles that others appear to bring us. Honoring and finally celebrating the metamorphosis that can come when we choose what is right even when others are absolutely sure it is wrong. Many readers may see her husband as a con man, drug dealer, and thief. But to those who do not understand her choices, she asks: “How could you behave differently? I walk this world without regret.” Whether women cheer Doretha’s every move, slowly come to respect her stand, or shake their heads and say, “Girl, what are you doing?” they will be swept along on this journey into the depths of a crisis that few of us can imagine. Ultimately, The Fugitive’s Doctor is a dynamic and thoughtful story not just of the strength of the vows of marriage but of human frailty, stamina, fear, courage, hope, forgiveness, deepening love, and salvation. 


My Review:   
I am going to state here that normally I would not put this much in the Synopsis area. But I fell as though this is a better description of the book.  Yes I read the book and agree that even though I won this book I want to make sure that you choose to read this one on your own. Why you maybe asking?  

Well let's just say that it took me a while to read this one, and I don't want to give it a bad rep because of it. Again, I won this book on someone else's blog and was very busy at that time reading others and getting my blog up and going.  So when this year came along I wanted to make sure I read this one. And I put it on my TBR list and I picked it up in January but did not get it finished until the end of March. Why?

Because even though it was and is a great book and a good read, I would start reading then about two or three chapters I would put it down and not pick it back up for a few days then do the same. For some reason it just did not hold my full attention all at the same time. I am how ever very pleased that I did finish it and I am looking forward to finding more books by author Deirdre-Elizabeth Parker.  

Please pick this book up and read it then Please swing back here and let me know what you think about it. 


And so due to the above I am giving this book as of now a Breath of Life Rating of:

Four Clock Rating!!!

Disclosure:  I won this book, I did not receive this book in exchange for my review. But the opinions are mine, your opinion may differ, and that is fine with me.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...