Book Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Friday, June 1, 2012



Title:       ARTICLE 5
Author:   Kristen Simmons
Pub. Date: January 31st 2012
Publisher:   Tor Teen
Format:  Hardback
Pages:   364
ISBN#   0765329581


Book Description:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.






My Review:

Oh My, Oh My, Oh My! Kristen Simmons novel, Article 5 has easily become one of my top 10 books of the year.

Kristen Simmons has not only caught my attention with this novel, but I am so anxious to get my hands on book 2 of this series. From the first page to the last, I could not put it down. The characters that Kristen has created in Article 5 are each so strong within their own rights. But then put them within the pages of this novel and you receive a story that you are so engrossed in that you find your own self within this novel.

The Moral Statues of the United States Of America: The Five Articles. "Are You Compliant?" (Back Cover)

Ember Miller, where to start with her? Ember loves her mother, and is living her life such as it is. She is really the one taking care of things. But when her mom is arrested and she is taken from her life as she knows it for reasons that don't seem fair, she is determined to get her family back and put things right. She has memories of a boy whom she has loved since, well forever. Now they are mixed in with memories of her mothers arrest. How would you cope?

Chase Jennings is the guy next door, whom Ember has loved since she can remember. The only boy she has ever loved. But then he is one of the officers involved in arresting Embers mom. Sending my mind out in to an emotional rampage. I was angry, confused and even found myself crying due to him doing what he felt he had to do. You will need to read the novel to find out why this young man brings out so many different emotions.

No police but soldiers, no fines but arrests, trials and maybe even worse. Being taken from your home and taken some place where you will have to obey or else? What is the world coming to? What will Embers life become if she fights or just gives in? Meeting people, going into and hiding in places that would scare an adult to death, much less a teenager.

Okay, So before I give any thing else away from one for my top 10 picks this year, I am going to try and say why it is just that!

Kristen Simmons style of writing is amazing. Making it so easy to put yourself into the story that you could even become one of the characters, even the main character. I love how Ember seems so tough and independent. But Kristen also wrote her to be a teenager with a whirl wind of emotions.

This novel is so out there, but makes you believe that it could actually happen tomorrow. It is a must have for your reading list. I can not wait to place the second novel in this series on my shelf beside my copy of  ARTICLE 5.

If I could give it a higher rating than I actually have on my rating scale, my rating would be much much higher.  
That is why I have to give this novel my clock rating of: 

 


5 Clock Rating!


Make sure you check out this great book the link is below, just click it!!!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...